Four-time gold medalist Michael Johnson apparently is faster on his feet than his brain, for Johnson actually said for public consumption that he believes the question of why black athletes dominate Olympic sprint competitions is because of slavery.The eight men who ran in the 100-meter finals — all African-American or African-Caribbean — in the Beijing Olympics are believed to have been descended from slaves, according to the documentary. But, what’s the surprise there?“Difficult as it was to hear,” Johnson contended, “slavery has benefited descendants like me. I believe there is a superior athletic gene in us.”Johnson, who recently had his lineage traced back to West Africa as part of a British documentary, told the Daily Mail that slavery has “left an imprint through the generations.”The Daily Mail wrote that some scientists believe a combination of selective breeding by slave owners and appalling conditions meant that only the strongest slaves endured, creating a group predisposed to record-breaking athletic performance.African slaves underwent a rigorous selection process and only the fittest were transported on ships.Johnson’s views on the genetics of slavery and his allusions to eugenics have been mostly ignored in the United States. The interview with the Daily Mail was published last Wednesday and barely made ripples on this side of the pond.Well, the remarks have finally arrived, and they make Johnson seem like a dumb jock. He totally discounts the work ethic and training involved to be a world class athlete. He does not address why every black person walking around is not 0f Olympic status if blacks have a “superior athletic gene.”Comments like these got jimmy (The Greek) Synder fired years ago. that they would arise again, in 2012, by a black athlete in particular, is, well, silly — and sad.
The memo refutes some of the framing of that article however, claiming that it was Press+ who initiated discussions around a sale several months ago. Founders Steven Brill and Gordon Crovitz would not comment directly, but their memo says they’re looking for international opportunities and new markets that RR Donnelley doesn’t offer at the moment.”Press+ might be better able to take advantage of the opportunities offered for international expansion and—with our new video meter—expansion into new content markets by having a home with a different kind of partner,” they say.Brill and Crovitz also hint at possible expansion under new ownership.The group, previously known as Journalism Online, has grown rapidly in the two-and-a-half years since it was purchased by RR Donnelley for a reported $35 million. With less than 30 clients at that time, Press+ now says it has about 450 with more on the way. A London-based business development director was hired in June with the intent of expanding the company’s presence internationally.The move would ultimately be a minor one for RR Donnelley which generated $2.6 billion in net sales for the third quarter and acquired Consolidated Graphics for $620 million last month.The Press+ platform, launched in 2009, is based on a freemium content model. Visitors get a set number of stories (usually around 10) for free and are asked to pay for access to more.The memo from Brill and Crovitz:You may have seen, or will see, a report from Ken Doctor [of Nieman Journalism Lab] that RR Donnelley is “shopping” Press+. Although “shopping” is not accurate, what is going on is that a few months ago we began discussing with RRD the possibility that now that we have grown so fast, Press+ might be better able to take advantage of the opportunities offered for international expansion and – with our new video meter – expansion into new content markets by having a home with a different kind of partner. At the same time, RRD could be rewarded for its early investment. (Remember: when they bought us, we had just a dozen or two launched Affiliates.) Put simply, they’v been an ideal partner, and this is a possibility we are exploring together.Nothing is certain. We are under no pressure to do anything; we are simply considering various possibilities. And if we do change or add partners, the two of us aren’t going anywhere (and, if anything, in this scenario the staff would probably be expanding more quickly).We will keep you posted, but don’t expect any big announcements soon. And please keep this confidential. Steve and Gordon *Editor’s note: Folio: is a Press+ client.RR Donnelley’s digital paywall platform, Press+, is on the market, according to an internal memo obtained by Folio:.Nieman Journalism Lab broke the news that the company was being “shopped” on Wednesday.
Swe WinA prominent Myanmar journalist was detained as he tried to leave the country after an ultra-nationalist group filed a suit against him, a colleague said Sunday.Swe Win, the editor of Myanmar Now, was detained by police at Yangon airport on Sunday evening as he tried to fly to Bangkok under a controversial law often wielded against the press.“I got contact with Swe Win around 6:30pm and he told me on the phone that he had been arrested at the airport and was now at the police station,” his colleague Htet Khaung Lin told AFP.He added that Swe Lin was being held over a complaint filed by a member of the ultra-nationalist Ma Ba Tha movement over articles he had written about its leader, the firebrand monk Wirathu.The broadly worded law-section 66d of the Telecommunications Act-bans uploading false or insulting information and has been frequently used against journalists both by the state and in private cases.Police at Mingladon township, where Swe Lin was taken, did not respond to requests for comment.Many had hoped press freedoms would flourish under the new civilian government of democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi but criminal and civil cases against journalists, cartoonists and satirists have instead increased.Last month three journalists were detained by the military after they spoke to members of an armed rebel group. Suu Kyi’s government later defended the detentions and the trio remain in jail awaiting trial.Ma Ba Tha are a small but vocal ultra-nationalist group who often rail against Myanmar’s beleaguered Muslim community.The country’s top religious body has ordered them to disband but that move has done little to blunt their movement.In March they filed a case against Swe Win over comments he made suggesting Wirathu should be expelled from the monkhood for welcoming the murder of a prominent Muslim lawyer.It is not yet clear why police did not act until now.
Map locating a suicide bombing in a wrestling club in Kabul Wednesday which was followed by a second blast. Map source: AFPAt least 20 people have been killed including two Afghan journalists after twin blasts at a Kabul wrestling club on Wednesday that left another 70 wounded, officials said, in the latest assault on the capital.An hour after a suicide bomber blew himself up inside the sports hall in a heavily Shiite neighbourhood, a car packed with explosives detonated as journalists and security forces gathered at the scene, police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said.At least four journalists were wounded in the second explosion, media support group NAI said.Tolo News, Afghanistan’s largest private broadcaster, confirmed two of their journalists were killed.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the twin explosions, but the Islamic State group often targets Afghanistan’s minority Shiite community.”An attack on civilians and media workers of the country is an attack on freedom of speech and crime against humanity,” Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said in a statement condemning the latest violence.A spokesman at the interior ministry said at least 20 people were killed and another 70 wounded in the blasts. An Afghan security source confirmed the casualty toll.Civilians and members of the security forces also were among the dead and wounded.Health ministry spokesman Wahid Majroh had earlier put the death toll at 16 people and another 60 wounded.”I was outside when the first explosion happened, which has killed over 30 people, many of them wrestlers,” Pahlawan Shir, director of the Maiwand wrestling club, told AFP.”I was searching for my coach, I have finally found him in the… hospital. He is in a critical condition.”Social media users who purportedly witnessed the attack said the bomber killed the guards at the club before blowing himself up inside.He “detonated inside where a large number of athletes had gathered. There are a lot of dead and wounded”, Mohammad Hanif said on Facebook.A photo posted on Twitter purportedly showed several victims being loaded into the back of a police pick-up.- Civilians paying the price -The last major attack on Shiites in Kabul was on August 15 when a suicide bomber blew himself up in an education centre, killing dozens of students.IS said it was behind that attack, which drew international condemnation and came amid a wave of deadly violence across the country.Most of the victims were studying for college entrance exams when the blast happened.That was followed a day later by an attack on an intelligence training centre in Kabul.Civilians have long borne the brunt of the violence in Afghanistan — especially in Kabul, a target of both the Taliban and IS.Journalists also have paid a heavy price covering the conflict. On April 30, twin explosions in Kabul killed nine journalists and 16 other people.Among the dead was AFP chief photographer Shah Marai.AFP driver Mohammad Akhtar was killed less than three months later in a suicide attack in Kabul that also claimed the lives of 22 others.Wednesday’s attack comes a day after the Taliban announced the death of Jalaluddin Haqqani, who founded the eponymous militant group which is widely suspected of being behind some of the attacks in Kabul claimed by IS.Afghan special forces arrested 11 Haqqani militants in Kabul and nearby districts, the country’s intelligence agency said Wednesday.The Taliban has been conducting blistering attacks on security forces across Afghanistan, including the massive, days-long onslaught on the eastern city of Ghazni last month.
Explore further NEC Australia introduces thin mobile phone This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. With a global launch date of 2014, NEC is testing its DNA analysis device with the National Research Institute of Police Science, affiliated with the National Police Agency, in Japan. The price for the analyzer is US$120,000. The 2014 model will weigh around 32 kg, measuring 850(W) by 470(D) by 250 (H) mm, which has earned it the reference of being suitcase-sized, though a heavy suitcase at that. An NEC spokesperson said the company’s initial user target will be investigative organizations such as police. The DNA analyzer will also be targeted to help during natural disaster crises, “for use on victims of natural disasters, to quickly match samples from siblings and parents.”NEC’s technology that is making this type of portable analyzer possible is essentially a “lab on a chip.” This chip is disposable, which avoids DNA mistyping. The NEC team behind this device has put the full DNA extraction, PCR (polymerase chain reaction) amplification and Electrophoresis stages on a chip. In so doing they have been able to recreate the lab processes. NEC said that the device will not require anything beyond minimal training; the capsule has a suite of reagents that eliminates the need to use pipettes. NEC said that “laymen” can inject extracted DNA in the well on the chip. After analysis, the chip can be safely disposed of. The waste area in the chip will free operators from the task of tedious cleaning, added NEC.Development of the analyzer by NEC is being carried out with partners including Promega, a U.S. biotechnology firm. Citation: NEC plans DNA analyzer for nearly-instant results (2012, November 27) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2012-11-nec-dna-nearly-instant-results.html More information: www.nec.com/en/global/solution … ct/pdf/catalogue.pdf (Phys.org)—NEC is working on a DNA analyzer that is the size of a suitcase, portable enough to be taken to crime scenes. The NEC analyzer integrates all steps required in DNA analysis. By 2014, NEC intends to issue a model that will be able to process samples at the scene of a crime or at disaster sites in as little as 25 minutes. The current version of the analyzer takes about an hour for all DNA-determining tasks, but NEC intends to bring the time down to 25 minutes. The new analyzer’s ability to output samples quickly for use with DNA databases can have a significant effect on crime-solving and helping people who are victims of natural disasters. © 2012 Phys.org