The memo refutes some of the framing of that article however, claiming that it was Press+ who initiated discussions around a sale several months ago. Founders Steven Brill and Gordon Crovitz would not comment directly, but their memo says they’re looking for international opportunities and new markets that RR Donnelley doesn’t offer at the moment.”Press+ might be better able to take advantage of the opportunities offered for international expansion and—with our new video meter—expansion into new content markets by having a home with a different kind of partner,” they say.Brill and Crovitz also hint at possible expansion under new ownership.The group, previously known as Journalism Online, has grown rapidly in the two-and-a-half years since it was purchased by RR Donnelley for a reported $35 million. With less than 30 clients at that time, Press+ now says it has about 450 with more on the way. A London-based business development director was hired in June with the intent of expanding the company’s presence internationally.The move would ultimately be a minor one for RR Donnelley which generated $2.6 billion in net sales for the third quarter and acquired Consolidated Graphics for $620 million last month.The Press+ platform, launched in 2009, is based on a freemium content model. Visitors get a set number of stories (usually around 10) for free and are asked to pay for access to more.The memo from Brill and Crovitz:You may have seen, or will see, a report from Ken Doctor [of Nieman Journalism Lab] that RR Donnelley is “shopping” Press+. Although “shopping” is not accurate, what is going on is that a few months ago we began discussing with RRD the possibility that now that we have grown so fast, Press+ might be better able to take advantage of the opportunities offered for international expansion and – with our new video meter – expansion into new content markets by having a home with a different kind of partner. At the same time, RRD could be rewarded for its early investment. (Remember: when they bought us, we had just a dozen or two launched Affiliates.) Put simply, they’v been an ideal partner, and this is a possibility we are exploring together.Nothing is certain. We are under no pressure to do anything; we are simply considering various possibilities. And if we do change or add partners, the two of us aren’t going anywhere (and, if anything, in this scenario the staff would probably be expanding more quickly).We will keep you posted, but don’t expect any big announcements soon. And please keep this confidential. Steve and Gordon *Editor’s note: Folio: is a Press+ client.RR Donnelley’s digital paywall platform, Press+, is on the market, according to an internal memo obtained by Folio:.Nieman Journalism Lab broke the news that the company was being “shopped” on Wednesday.
Zaira WasimInstagramUnless you’ve been living under a rock, you’d know that Zaira Wasim announced her decision to quit Bollywood and acting on Sunday. While Zaira’s decision to bid adieu citing ‘Allah’ and ‘Imaan’; was lauded by many; the same philosophy has irked many. Celebs like Raveena Tandon, Tasleema Nasreen, Payal Rohatgi and Vivek Agnihotri lashed out at her decision to pull out.Payal Rohatgi questioned whether she would turn into a jihadi. She tweeted, “I hope that this child now grownup Indian Muslim actress #ZairaWasim who says she quit Bollywood as it interferes with her religion doesn’t become a #Jihadi tomorrow under the same ideology . After all she is an #Indian so I am sharing my concern on public platform. #JaiShriRamShe went on to call her a ‘kattar muslim’ and an ‘andh bhakt’. “#ZairaWasim is an AndhBhakt & a Kattar Muslim She has quoted from Quran means this #Regressive thought process is in Islam Islam is a regressive religion where women are NOT equal to men I am so glad to read this #JaiShriRam #PayalRohatgi,” she tweeted.”Did #ZairaWasim pass out from #Madrassa ? As these days I see disturbing videos of Maulvi trying to molest Muslim girls Also former actress Nagma a Muslim ? If yes why is she working in politics ? She is interacting with men & roaming without Burqa #MondayMood #PayalRohatgi,” she further tweeted.Tasleema Nasreen tweeted, “Oh My Goosebumps! Bollywood’s talented actress Zaria Wasim now wants to quit acting because she thinks her acting career almost destroyed her faith in Allah. What a moronic decision! So many talents in the Muslim community are forced to go under the darkness of the burqa.” (sic)Vivek Ranjan Agnihotri tweeted, “Of course @_sabanaqvi we must not judge choices of #ZairaWasim but in the age of Artifical Intelligence we must question the book that orders an individual to quit ‘ARTS’ to make peace with Allah.”Raveena Tandon tweeted, “Doesn’t matter if two-film olds are ungrateful to the industry that have given them all. Just wish they’d exit gracefully and keep their regressive views to themselves.”Well, we feel, at the end of the day, the decision to stay or leave the industry was hers to make and one should respect the decision she has made, irrespective of whether or not we agree with her reason behind quitting.
Chelsea Beck/NPRDonald Trump laid out a plan for his first 100 days in the Oval Office.President-elect Donald Trump plans to hit the ground running. He could sign his first executive orders within hours of taking the oath of office.“I’ve asked my transition team to develop a list of executive actions we can take on Day One to restore our laws and bring back our jobs,” Trump said in a videotaped message in November. “It’s about time.”Vice President-elect Mike Pence echoed that message in a meeting with reporters on Thursday.“Our job is to be ready on Day One,” Pence said. “We are all ready to go to work.”The incoming president has promised to:renegotiate trade deals,roll back regulations, and, of course,repeal his predecessor’s signature health care lawTrump, who’s accustomed to completing projects “on time and under budget,” will try to bring an unfamiliar business discipline to the nation’s capital. He may find that Washington is not as nimble or responsive to orders from the chief executive as his family-run business. His first couple of days will also be filled with ceremonial celebrations: the inaugural parade, Friday night balls and a Saturday church service. The real workout for the new president and his pen could start Monday.“We’ll be doing some pretty good signings on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and Friday,” Trump said during his news conference last week.Trump plans to nominate a new Supreme Court justice to replace the late Antonin Scalia within his first two weeks in office. He’ll also direct military commanders to develop plans for battling the Islamic State and cyberattacks. And he’ll codify his “swamp draining” restrictions on government officials later going to work as lobbyists.But the new administration’s initial priorities will focus on three areas:1. TradeThroughout the campaign, Trump repeatedly criticized U.S. trade deals and promised to renegotiate or scrap agreements such as NAFTA.“We will negotiate fair, bilateral trade deals that bring jobs and industry back onto American shores,” he said in his November video.Trump has also warned that companies that move jobs overseas but want to sell products domestically could be hit with a steep import tariff or “border tax.”Congressional Republicans have shown little support for raising tariffs. Rather than punishing companies that leave the U.S., GOP lawmakers prefer to reward those that stay, with lower corporate tax rates.Still, if Trump is determined to send a signal with targeted tariffs, he has the authority to impose them on his own.“The president has a lot of power in this country,” said Simon Johnson of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a pro-trade think tank in Washington. “It looks like President Trump wants to use some of that power relative to trade and particularly goods coming into the United States.”Johnson conceded that Trump’s tough talk could be merely a scare tactic, aimed at encouraging domestic manufacturers to stay put. He cautioned if Trump were to follow through on his tariff threat, it would raise prices for U.S. consumers. And other countries could respond with their own tariffs, discouraging U.S. exports.“We need to have a conversation about how to have better jobs for more people in the United States,” Johnson said. “But saying we’ll scrap the trading system or saying we’ll slap massive tariffs when we feel like it, that is actually back to the trading system of the 1930s. That did not have good overall economic outcomes either for America as a whole or for most American workers.”Trump’s nominee for Commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, agreed that the broad Smoot-Hawley tariffs of the 1930s were a drag on the U.S. economy and shouldn’t be repeated. Ross took a nuanced position on protectionist measures during his confirmation hearing this week.“I am not anti-trade. I am pro-trade,” Ross told the Senate Commerce Committee. “But I am pro-sensible trade. Not pro-trade that is to the disadvantage of the American worker and the American manufacturing community.”2. Energy regulationsTrump has accused the outgoing Obama administration of stifling development of fossil fuel energy. While oil and natural-gas production has surged over the last eight years, Trump insists that’s happened despite government roadblocks.“I will cancel job-killing restrictions on the production of American energy, including shale energy and clean coal, creating many millions of high-paying jobs,” Trump said in his November video. “That’s what we want. That’s what we’ve been waiting for.”The Interior Department and the Environmental Protection Agency hold considerable sway over energy development through access to public lands and environmental regulations. Fossil fuel producers expect Trump’s team to relax some of the restrictions they faced during the Obama years.“Just as he’s been able to impose additional regulations and burdens on industries, likewise a new administration or a new president can reverse that course or at least make them smart, common-sense regulation and make them so they’re not so unduly burdensome,” said Jack Gerard, president of the American Petroleum Institute.The incoming Trump administration could also give a green light to energy infrastructure projects that were blocked by executive actions on Obama’s watch.“Things like Keystone XL pipeline, Dakota Access pipeline,” Gerard said, “we expect he’ll take some early action on a variety of those fronts to really free us up and allow us to achieve our energy potential.”3. ObamacareThe incoming administration says repealing and replacing Obamacare will be its “first order of business.” And the House and Senate have already taken the first steps toward repealing large pieces of the health care law.But while doing away with Obamacare was always a popular applause line at Trump’s campaign rallies, the incoming administration has also promised to move carefully to avoid further disruption in an already fragile insurance market.“Nobody is interested in pulling the rug out from under anybody,” Trump’s nominee for health secretary, Tom Price, said this week. “We believe that it is absolutely imperative that individuals that have health coverage be able to keep health coverage.”The need for a viable replacement plan for Obamacare was underscored this week when the Congressional Budget Office warned that partial repeal without replacement would leave tens of millions of people uninsured and cause a spike in insurance premiums.Congressional Republicans are considering a variety of replacement plans and hope to reach a consensus on one at their retreat later this month. Trump, meanwhile, told the Washington Post he’s nearly completed work on his own plan to replace Obamacare. He says he’s keeping the details under wraps until Price is confirmed.Copyright 2017 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Share
December 13, 2000 Site Coordinator Mary Hoadley, poses with Arcosanti’s first cook –Dottie Buhrig. Dottie served meals from “Plywood City” in Campfrom 1970-1973. The Camp kitchen was later transformed into the Bunkhouseunits. Photo by: Ivan Fritz
Ultra HD infrastructure and video compression startup, BBright, will launch three new products at IBC that will complement its UHD baseband player and live 4K HEVC encoder.BBright will introduce: UHD-Record for quad 3G-SDI baseband recording; a 4K HEVC transport stream player called UHD-TS; and its HEVC-Master file mastering station for HEVC.The firm said that the updates will extend its capability across the UHD workflow ecosystem.The 4K baseband recorder will enable capture of an Ultra HD live content source.The UHD HEVC transport stream player will enable cost effective distribution of 4K compressed content at lower bit rates.Meanwhile, the HEVC mastering station enables creation of non-live content or VoD file such as movies and TV documentaries at the highest video quality – HEVC encoded up to 4:4:4 12 bits.France-based BBright claims to have grown rapidly to become a reliable source of 4K content to leading UHD sport trials. These are being conducted through its UHD-Play baseband server and SLED-4K live HEVC encoder by Tier-1 broadcasters like France Télévisions.BBright will exhibit at IBC in the French pavilion on stand 2.B39a
Mediaset is to pull its Premium offering from the country’s digital-terrestrial platform in June, according to local reports. The pay TV service will thereafter only be available via the new Infinity Premium streaming service, with the group’s Premium Online and Premium Play services also set to be closed down.Mediaset said that all Premium channels and the group’s on-demand offerings would only be available on the Infinity Premium service from the beginning of June.Existing subscribers will be able to cancel their service or switch to Infinity, with instructions to be sent to customers by the end of this month.The Infinity Premium offering will cost €7.99 a month via compatible devices and to internet connections of at least 1.2Mbps.Mediaset will also stop carrying the DAZN sports streaming service as part of Premium on June 1, with customers directed to subscribe to this service direct from DAZN.Last year, Mediaset struck a deal with Perform Group, owner of DAZN, to provide access to the service as part of its Premium Calcio offeringfor a reduced overall price of €19.90 a month.The move came after DAZN secured rights to 114 Serie A matches over the three years from 2018 and announced that it was launching its service in the country.