Report: Colchester United U18s 3-1 Bristol City U18s

first_imgZac Smith had put City in front early on in the first half, before Millwall goalkeeper Sam Jackson was sent off for a challenge on Vince Harper.Mason Saunders-Henry levelled from the penalty spot for the away side, and Lucas Sinclair scored the game’s winning goal just after the hour mark.That makes six games without a win for Trevor Challis’ side, and they will hope return to winning ways next week as they host Ipswich Town.It was the away side who had the first chance of the game. George Alexander was put through in goal, but his effort was saved brilliantly by James Carey, who tipped the shot onto the crossbar.After Alexander’s early effort, the opening stages of the tie were quite cagey with neither side asserting dominance of the game.City took the lead just before the quarter hour mark. Zac Smith found space in the Millwall box, and calmly slotted the ball beyond the goalkeeper to make it 1-0.The goal seemed to give City a lift, as Marcus Day was the next player to target the opposition goal. His shot was tame, however, and easy enough for the goalkeeper.Alexander threaten Carey’s goal again, coming close with a header from a free kick which went just over.LIONS SEES REDMillwall were then reduced to ten men shortly after the half hour mark. A long ball forward found Harper around 30 yards from goal, and the onrushing goalkeeper Jackson brought him down. The referee sent Jackson off, resulting in striker Alexander being taken off for substitute goalkeeper Joe Wright.Day did threaten the away side’s goal on a few occasions as the first half drew to a close, but he was unable to double City’s advantage before the break.The second half saw the away side on the front foot, despite being a man down.Less than five minutes after the restart, Millwall had the opportunity to level from the penalty spot a challenge in the area by a City defender. Saunders-Henry stepped up to take the penalty, and dispatched it beyond the reach of Carey.Day came close to putting City back in the lead almost immediately, but his effort was saved well by Wright.Millwall then completed the turn around after an hour. Sinclair cut inside the City defence and fired past Carey who could do nothing about the strike.A free kick from Day troubled Wright, who spilled his effort into the path of a City player. After a scramble, the ball couldn’t find its way past the line as Millwall managed to clear their lines.As the game went on, City attempted to find an equaliser but couldn’t find a way beyond the defence. The final ball seemed to be lacking for the youngsters.There was almost late drama in the dying embers of the game, as goalkpeer Carey went up for a last minute corner. Nothing came of it, however, as Millwall managed to hang on for the victory.City Under-18s: Carey, Ali, Webb, Harry Smith (Towler), Burford, Turner, K.Smith (Taylor), Z.Smith, Bell, Day (Mortimore), Harper. Subs not used: Begovic, Hall, Maguire.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *