Inishowen League: Round-up as Carn Reserves beat Carrowmena in Knockout Shield

first_imgThrilling league and cup action took place right across Inishowen over the weekend as Aileach Reserves collected three points on the road against Rasheney FC. Full round-up below… Rasheney FC           0 Aileach Res            2Aileach dominated for long spells and had the first chance when Shane McMonagle fired wide after a corner had broken for him. At the other end, Paul McConalogue had a header saved by David McGeady.Paddy Curran then dragged a shot wide before seeing a header from a Conor Bradley cross sail over. In between those chances Conor Bradley was denied by a smothering save from Roger McGilloway. They broke the deadlock on 40 minutes after McMonagle’s low cross found Chris McGarrigle whose sweetly struck effort from sixteen yards nestled in the bottom corner. Rasheney responded and when Adam Kirkland turned well inside the area his rising shot was palmed away by McGeady.Aileach had the final chance of the half when Killian O’Rourke fired a low shot just past the post. Aileach started the second half well and a Conor Bradley cross cum shot was clawed away by McGilloway from under the bar.Rasheney went close on the hour mark when a Charlie Doherty free found Paul McConalogue who fired wide from close range.Aileach regained control with Bradley firing at McGilloway and O’Rourke shooting over.  When McMonagle broke clear in a two on one with Stephen Doherty his attempted square ball was intercepted by McGilloway. They sealed the points when O’Rourke’s cross deflected off a defender and into the net on 83 minutes.Clonmany Shamrocks     4Dunree United                 0 Clonmany started brightly and Mark McLaughlin hit the side netting in the 1st minute after being put through by Jason Devlin’s pass. Clonmany took the lead in the 8th minute when Jason Devlin ran on to Jake Harkin’s pass on the inside left channel and finished cooly past Dunree keeper John Lafferty.Clonmany added a second goal in the 24th minute when Jason Devlin found himself in space on the edge of the box and he squared the ball to Mark McLaughlin who shot low to the bottom corner giving John Lafferty no chance.The Dunree keeper came to their rescue two minutes later when he saved well from Jason Devlin’s shot after he received Brendan Doherty’s pass from the right-wing.On the cusp of half-time, Clonmany added a third when Jason Devlin took Brendan Doherty’s pass in the box and although John Lafferty managed to get a hand to it he couldn’t keep it out and it had crossed the goal-line before a despairing clearance from Dermot Graham. The first chance of the second half came in the 55th minute when Jason Devlin laid off a pass for over-lapping left-back Matthew Brennan but John Lafferty spread himself well and he blocked Matthew’s shot.It was a short reprieve for Dunree as three minutes later Alex McFadden was fouled on the right-hand side of the box and Mark McLaughlin chipped the free-kick into a space around the penalty spot and an in-rushing Liam Hirrell directed his header to the top corner giving the Dunree keeper no chance.Straight from kick-off Dunree attacked down the left-wing and Matthew Doherty hit a speculative shot from around 25 yards out which had Paddy Harkin scrambling back but it hit the crossbar and was cleared to safety. Clonmany striker Pearce McCarron had a good chance in the 71st minute when he was put through one on one with John Lafferty but the Dunree keeper was out quickly and made a good save.Mark McLaughlin almost grabbed a second on the day in the 77th minute when he took Alex McFadden’s lobbed pass in his stride but shot narrowly wide.The last chance of the match came in the 81st minute when a flowing move from their own half saw Pearce McCarron break away to the right side of the Dunree box before he squared to Mark McLaughlin on the 18 yard line who dummied  it letting roll over to Jason Devlin in space on the left side but Jason’s shot went over the bar.QPS                            2 Glengad Res             2Glengad started this game the better and Graham Morgan had an effort tipped round the post by Aiden Lynch before Gary Kelly saw a shot tipped onto the post. Then on 21 minutes the home side took the lead after a Darragh McIntyre free was parried by Michael McLaughlin and substitute Caolan McColgan reacted first to slot home.Glengad went close again when another substitute Paul McDermott advanced and unleashed an effort which Lynch did well to tip onto the bar. The Point then doubled their lead when a short corner to Deaglan Bowen saw his cross find Andrew Barr to head inside the far post.Glengad finished the half very strongly with McDermott firing a free just wide before the same player had a penalty saved by Lynch after Gary Kelly had been impeded in the area.Another chance was spurned on the stroke of half time when McDermott’s cross found Morgan who fired over from ten yards. Glengad had the first chance of the second period when McDermott saw his header beat Lynch but cleared off the line by Bowen.The point replied and David Healy had a free kick saved by McLaughlin. At the other end substitute Nathan McConalogue saw his effort turned round the post by Lynch.The home side then had three chances to seal the tie. Firstly John McCluskey fired wide when well placed before Caolan McColgan had two chances saved by McLaughlin.Glengad got a goal back then on 82minutes when McDermott fired a brilliant free kick to the top corner from the corner of the area.In the final minute they gained a well-deserved point after McDermott stepped up to take another penalty and this time placed the ball low in the corner past Lynch.Greencastle Res                2Redcastle Utd                    2The visitors took the lead in this clash on 15 minutes after Drew McKinney cut in from the right and drilled low past Seamus  Bovaird from sixteen yards. The home side got back on terms on 32 minutes when Marc Doherty released Joe Doherty to round Michael McCole and slot home.Redcastle then regained the lead on 42 minutes when McKinney advanced in midfield and fired a stunning twenty five yards effort to the top corner. But again the home side levelled after Joe Doherty ‘s corner fell to Shaun Cavanagh whose effort was blocked but Jude Harkin pounced to fire high past McCole.Just before the break Shane McColgan for the visitors fired narrowly over the bar.There was plenty of action in the second half with Ronan Doherty and Andrew Peoples off target with headers for the home side before Doherty had an effort deflected onto the post by McCole.At the other end Alan Clarke fired wide while Darragh McConway had a shot saved by Bovaird. The best chance of the half fell to the home side when Doherty raced clear but McCole advanced to smother at his feet before Peoples saw a header clip the bar.Redcastle too had chances with substitute Evan Craig racing clear but seeing his chip drift wide before Ronan Hoy also fired narrowly wide.Donegal Signs Knockout Shield  Carn Res                              3          (Win 6.5 on penalties)Carrowmena FC                 3 Carn got the first chance on 8 minutes when Dayton Cooke released Paul Stevens on the right-wing and he rounded the defender and squared it for Dion Diver but he fired wide.Carrowmena then took the lead when Sammy Bredin made a great run on the right-wing and rounded the defender and squared it for Gerard Gill who shot low to the left corner of the net from 10 yards.Carrowmena almost doubled their lead on 17 minutes after Ryan McLaughlin released Bredin on the right-wing and after rounding the defender his shot was parried away at the post by Kyle Harkin. Carn nearly got the equalizer on 29 minutes when Ryan Diver Released Dayton Cooke who found Cian Burke whose shot low to the left corner was well tidied up by Brian Houghton in the Carrowmena goal. Carrowmena almost scored in the last minute of the half when Gerard Gill’ s free-kick from 25 yards was parried away by Harkin.Carrowmena started the better team in the second half and almost doubled their lead on 52 minutes when Gill released Bredin on the right-wing who laid it off for Declan McGuinness who fired wide from 10 yards. Carn went close on 68 minutes when Kyran Cantwell long pass down the right-wing found Dayton Cooke who rounded the defender and squared it for Dion Diver who shot over the bar from 10 yards.Carn got the equalizer on 87 minutes after a Declan  McGonagle corner on the right and Conor Burke put it to the top of the net from 10 yards. Carn went in front in the first minute of extra time when  McGonagle released Kyran Cantwell on the right-wing who rounded the defender and shot low to the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards.Carrowmena equalized on 97 minutes when Raymond Campbell was upended in the box and Gill converted the resulting penalty. Carn regained the lead on 103 minutes after Cantwell released Dion Diver on the right-wing and passed it to Cian Burke who shot high to the top of the net from 10 yards.But Carrowmena equalized again on 106 minutes when Gill broke on the right-wing and squared it for Declan McGuinness who shot low to the bottom right corner of the net from 15 yards.  In the shootout, the home side advanced to the quarter-final.Dunree Res   1Clonmany Celtic                2There was little between the teams in the opening part of the game but the home side opened the scoring on 22 minutes when after a Ryan Toland effort was saved by Kevin Friel the rebound was seized on by Ryan O’Donnell to slot home. But the visitors got back on terms before the interval when Raymond McDaid slotted home after a Karl Harkin effort was well parried by John Lafferty in the home goal.Clonmany had the first chance of the second half on 57 minutes when a Niall McDaid header was well saved by Lafferty.Dunree replied with Tommy Doherty firing narrowly wide with an attempted lob over Friel. The home side went close again with Evan barry seeing his effort cleared off the line.The visitors grabbed the winner in stoppage time after the home defence failed to clear and John Doherty pounced to drill home.Aileach Youths                  4Moville Res                         0After an even opening the home side took the lead on 19 minutes when Aaron Doherty raced onto a long clearance to fire home from fifteen yards.They doubled their lead on the half-hour mark with Doherty crossing for Darren Bradley to head home from six yards. In a replica move Bradley headed home his second and his sides third on 38 minutes. Moville replied before the break with Christy McGeoghaghan’s attempted chip just clearing the bar.After the break, the visitors went close again after Conor Lafferty got in behind the defence and saw his dangerous cross hacked clear.Aileach upped the tempo and sealed their passage to the quarter final when Josh Lynch cut the ball back for Aaron Doherty to control and calmly slot to the bottom corner. Moville did apply late pressure but failed to create clear chances.Donegal Signs Knockout Shield Quarter FinalIllies Res                  4Rasheney Res         1Illies advanced to the semi final with a comprehensive win in the end. They started well and in the opening stages Ronan Hegarty twice was denied by Roger McGilloway in the Rasheney goal.But on 21 minutes they broke the deadlock after Hegarty released Marty Coyle to fire low to the corner from twelve yards. They doubled their lead minutes later after Coyle’s corner found Seamus O’Donnell to head high past McGilloway.Rasheney got a goal back before the break when Dermot Doherty fed Brendan Grant who sidestepped a defender and slotted low past Graham Doherty. Rasheney had a good chance after the break when Grant advanced past a defender into the area but Doherty made a fine save smothering the ball at his feet.On the hour Illies made it three one when Hegarty beat his man and fired to the roof of the net from fifteen yards. They sealed the tie when substitute Joe McLaughlin raced onto Frankie O Connor’s through ball to fire low past McGilloway.Inishowen Engineering Division Two Culdaff Res             0Redcastle Res        0Played on Saturday night the home side had an early chance when Jack McLaughlin cut in from the right and his effort was tipped over by Ryan McCole.On 5minutes a Mark Doherty corner found the unmarked Dermot Diver who headed wide.Midway through the half Matthew Crampsey saw a powerful effort tipped round the post by McCole. Redcastle replied with a Terry McColgan shot rising just over the bar.Before the break the home side had chances through Cathal McGrenaghan and Ben Curley but both failed to hit the target.Redcastle had a couple of chances in the second period with McColgan and James Curran off target when well placed. Culdaff had a lot of possession but McLaughlin fired narrowly wide before in the dying minutes Crampsey saw his glancing header cleared off the line as the game ended scoreless.Inishowen League: Round-up as Carn Reserves beat Carrowmena in Knockout Shield  was last modified: September 15th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more